
Former Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum believes that Travis Kelce‘s chapter with the Kansas City Chiefs should come to an end.
On Wednesday’s episode of “SportsCenter,” he said that the franchise should “move on” from the three-time Super Bowl champion. Tannenbaum also provided the reasoning behind his take.
Thanks for the submission!
“I would move on from Travis Kelce. And let me tell you why,” Tannenbaum said. “When you’re in the front office, you have to project what a player is going to do, not what they’ve done. I’ve made that statement countless times in my career.
•
![]()
“Travis Kelce is a first ballot Hall of Famer. But when you watch him and make a honest and sober evaluation of his 2025 performance, clearly his best days are behind him. We talked about their lack of explosive plays. If I was Kansas City, I would make the right, albeit difficult decision to move from Travis Kelce to try to get younger, faster, more explosive at the tight end position.
Looking to predict NFL playoff Scenarios? Try our NFL Playoff Predictor for real-time simulations and stay ahead of the game!
However, fans on social media did not agree with Tannenbaum’s assessment of the Chiefs TE and criticized him.
“And that’s why he’s not a GM anymore,” one fan commented.
“What a stupid thing to say. He performed so well last year. One more year with Patrick and then GOODBYE,” another fan said.
“With this mindset we all know why he isn’t GM anymore. Kelce is still top 10 TE in the league,” this fan wrote.
“Is letting go of a franchise player ever the ‘right’ decision in football?” another fan said.
“Didn’t he lead all TE’s in receptions and yards this year? If not, he was very near the top. This argument isn’t valid, his on field performance is still awesome,” one fan wrote.
“Clearly his best days are behind him, as he finished the season as a top 5 TE,” this fan commented.
During the 2025 season, Kelce recorded 851 yards and five TDs receiving. However, the Chiefs finished third in the AFC West with a 6-11 record, failing to make the playoffs for the first time since 2014. The tight end’s current two-year deal expires in March, making him a free agent.
ALSO READ: Travis Kelce NFL retirement rumors rife as football star set to play Pebble Beach Pro Am 2026
Travis Kelce’s mom breaks silence on the Chiefs star’s retirement rumors
Travis Kelce has spent 13 seasons playing in the NFL. After the 2025 season, the rumors started surfacing about him potentially considering retirement.
Last Thursday, his mom, Donna, had an interview with TMZ at LAX airport. She was questioned about whether her son would be returning to the gridiron this upcoming season.
“You know, I want him to do what he feels comfortable doing,” Donna said. “He’s gotta talk to people in his life to decide what he wants to do. So I’m not sure. We’ll see what happens.”
In 13 seasons, Kelce has recorded 13,002 yards and 82 TDs receiving.
Edited by Priyam Hazarika
Source link



